Sevastopol bay
Once closed for tourists, Sevastopol - the second biggest Crimean city, started welcoming guests shortly after the Soviet Union break up. Located in a unique harbour, it was bound to become a navy base. The history of the city starts with the foundation of a Greek colony Chersonesus in 422 BC. Since then the city has been playing the key part in history and the development of the Crimea and the whole country. It is called the cradle of Russian Christianity as the place where Prince Vladimir was first of Russian rulers to adopt Christianity and from where the religion spread to Russian lands. After the decline of Chersonesus the area was not densely populated until Sevastopol was founded in 1783 as a naval base and fortress on the southern boundaries of the Russian Empire. Most of the city's history is linked to its military glory, the very name Sevastopol translated from Greek means 'magnificent, glorious'. The name seems justified, the city having survived two prolonged attacks during the Crimean War of 1854-1855 and World War II. The city was twice destroyed and twice rose from the ashes. After collapse of the USSR, Sevastopol appeared to be a part of Ukraine as a base of Russian Black Sea fleet & Ukrainian Naval Forces. Being an important military base, Sevastopol still has weapons-grade uranium storage which is kept at Sevastopol National University of nuclear energy and industry.
Sevastopol spirit and proudness of its citizens for their own city found its reflexion in the song Legendary Sevastopol that became official hymn of the city.

Sevastopol Attractions

Sevastopol Panorama
Panorama (Heroic Sevastopol Defence) Museum
The unique museum was founded in 1905 to 50th anniversary of Sevastopol defence at Crimean War. The great walls are divided in two tiers, top from them is processed with 4-side columns and niches with busts of heroes of defence. This building keeps outstanding masterpiece of it's kind, created by artist F.Rubo, a great (apprx. 1600 square meters) canvas depicted to the first Sevastopol assault during Crimean War. From the centre of Panorama find yourself at the top of Malakhov Kurgan and feel as a witness of that day events first plan with display of attack of Sevastopol in June 6, 1855.
Malakhov Kurgan White Defence Tower
Malakhov Kurgan (Barrow)
Twice this barrow became the cockpit: during the Crimean War and the WW II. At the days of the Crimean War the main bastion was built here. In 1855 this bastion was armed by 9 batteries with 76 guns and was under the command of rear-admiral Istomin. On 5 October 1854 the vice-admiral Kornilov was wounded deadly on the barrow. On 28 June 1855 admiral Nakhimov was wounded seriously and died here. On 24 August the enemy started the 6th and the most powerful bombing of Sevastopol. Day and night 110 guns bombed it. On 27 August 9600 French soldiers started an assault of the borrow where were only 880 defenders. The Bastion was captured. Soldiers, died in the last battle - French and Russia ones - were buried in a communal grave, where the memorial was established. In a period of Sevastopol Defence 1941-1942 the famous borrow took its stand in a line again. Two days soldiers kept the defensive position.
Vladimirsky Cathedral
Vladimirsky Cathedral
The monumental building of Byzantine style cathedral is dear to every Sevastopol citizen. Here found their last refuge the admirals whose names are proud and glory of our country. In 1851 on the spot of the future cathedral in a specially built crypt, admiral Lazarev was buried. During the Crimean War three famous Russian admirals (Kornilov, Istomin and Nakhimov) were buried in that crypt as well. Located in the lower church of the cathedral, the burials are united by the general headstone in the form of black marble cross. Altogether there are 11 burials in the lower church.
Chersonesus
Chersonesus (Khersonesos) National Preserve
A predecessor of modern Sevastopol, with almost 2000 years history, was founded in 442-421 B.C. by inhabitants of Heraclea Greek colony. Within a century Chersonesus, a slave-holding republic with the democratic form of ruling, turned into one of the biggest City-States of the Northern Black Sea region. Its population has reached 20 thousand people. Since the 5th century A.D. Chersonesus had been a part of Byzantine Empire. In 988 the city was conquered by Prince Vladimir. Here Vladimir has adopted Christianity. At the end of the XII-XIV century Chersonesus suffered from the Tatar Hordes attacks twice. In the middle of the XV century the city stopped existing. While visiting the preserve you can see the ruins of an antique theatre - the only one in our country, - the city blocks, an area of defensive walls with the Zenone Tower and many more. On the territory of preserve you may notice a bell, it was taken during Crimean War and used at Notre Dame De Pari before it was returned to Sevastopol. Nowadays preserve is surrounded by modern Sevastopol and 60% of its' territory is still unexcavated.
Scuttled ships monument
Scuttled Ships Monument
During Sevastopol defence by the entrance of Northern bay in the 1854 and 1855 years Russian sail ships were sank, "to protect the entrance from enemy vessels on raid and by this to rescue Sevastopol" (Nakhimov). In memory about it on to project of sculptor Adamson, architect Feldman and engineer Enberg in 1905 not far from past Nikolayev battery was created the monument. On underwater basis the square platform with 9 - side is delivered on which the plinth is organized. From its raw granite blocks stands the eight-sided pedestal, where placed slender korinph column, headed with bronze statue of eagle with outstretched wings and wreath of Glory. This monument became one of business cards of Sevastopol.


Russian Black Sea Fleet museum
Russian Black Sea Fleet Museum
The museum of Sevastopol defence was found in General Totleben's house in 1869. The building was finished in 1895 according to the project of the architect Kochetov. Design and plastic arts of smart architectural forms were cast over by ancient works. Cast-iron pyramidal compositions consisting of military attributes stand out against a back-ground of snow-white walls. On both sides of a staircase on pedestals pillars with lamps tower up. All stucco mouldings and castings are made by the sculptor Edwards.
Sevastopol Fine Arts
Sevastopol Fine Arts museum
Building of the museum is one of architectural attractions of Sevastopol that survived after WWII. Collection was formed from masterpieces of southern Crimea private collections including summer residence of Russian Emperor in Livadia that had been nationalized in 1920. It's exposition contents over 8 000 among them works of Bassano, Tenirs, Snider, Repin, Petrov-Vodkin, Korovin etc. During WWII exhibition was saved by it's director Kroshidsky who evacuated it from Sevastopol.
Diorama
Sapoune Ridge Memorial
Sapoune Ridge was an arena of furious fights during Sevastopol defence in 1941-1942 and during Sevastopol liberation in 1944. At the top of the ridge located memorial complex in the memory of soldiers, who liberated Sevastopol during WWII. Heroic events of those days found its reflection in the diorama painting 'Sapoune Ridge assault on the 7th May 1944'. On the territory of the complex exhibition of soviet weapon of that time: tanks, canons, mines etc. On the slopes of the ridge is a monument to soldiers of 77th division who died during assault of invaders' positions. In the park you will see Glory monument with the names of regiments and navy participated in liberation of Sevastopol. Also can't be not mentioned that here was Lord Raglan's viewpoint from where he witnessed the Charge of the light brigade.

Sevastopol weather forecast

19 Apr 22:00

15..17В°C
20 Apr 04:00

11..13В°C
20 Apr 10:00

11..13В°C
20 Apr 16:00

13..15В°C

Sevastopol related references

Sevastopol mapSevastopol photos